Born 5th May 1967, married, three children.
Hobbies: Kick boxing, running, fitness, dancing.
University education and professional experience
04/2011 - present: Professor (W3) for Hydrology, KIT;
03/2008 - 04/2011: Professor (W2) for Hydrology, Technische Universität München;
12/2003 - 03/2008: Junior-Professor for Water and Solute Transport, Institute of Geoecology, University of Potsdam;
05/2001-12/2003: Post Doc, Institute of Hydraulic Engineering, University of Stuttgart;
01/1999 - 05/2001: Post Doc, Institute of Water and River Basin Management, University of Karlsruhe;
04/1995 - 12/1998: DFG-Scholar DFG Graduate School Ökologische Wasserwirtschaft, University of Karlsruhe;
07/ 1999: Dissertation at Faculty of Civil Engineering, University of Karlsruhe. Thesis: Stofftransport in der ungesättigten Bodenzone auf verschiedenen Skalen;
01/1995 - 03/1995: Researcher, Institute of Meteorology, Unversity of Bonn;
10/1988 - 09/1994: Undergraduate and graduate studies of Physics at Universities of Freiburg and Bonn.
Office hours: Tuesday 14:00-15:30 please contact my secretary
- Terrestrial Water and Energy Cycles
- Transport and Transformation of Contaminants in Hydrological Systems
- Hydrological theory
- Thermodynamics and organization of hydrological systems
- Preferential flow and solute transport
- Runoff generation and soil moisture dynamics
- Hydrological modelling, predictability and uncertainty assessment
Selected activities and awards
- Chief Executive Editor of the open access EGU journal Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS), since 2014;
- Speaker of DFG Research Unit 1598: From Catchment as Organized systems to models based on dynamic functional units, 2012 – 2019;
- Scientific Speaker KIT Centre for Climate and Environment, since 2019;
- Executive Editor of Hydrology and Earth Systems Science, 2012 - 2014;
- HESS Best Editor Award 2009.