Introduction to Matlab
M. Sc. Water Science & Engineering, M. Sc. Civil Engineering, M. Sc. Geoecology, M. Sc. Resources Engineering
|Type:||WatSciEng: Cmpulsory elective module in the subject ‘Cross Cutting Methods and Competencies’
Supplementary course in the programme "Water and Environment"
| Credit points/ECTS
The students are familiar with common programming rules and the working environment and basic syntax of Matlab. They are capable of independently formulating and coding simple programs for data analysis and visualization as well as simulation of dynamical systems with Matlab.
The students have thus gained the competence to independently solve computer-based modeling tasks in advanced courses.
The students are able to solve problems and to present the related results in team work.
The course might qualify as a key qualification (on agreement with the individual mentor).
- Universal programming basics: Programming strategies, program structures, control structures, operators and variables, functions and objects, matrix calculations
- Basics of Matlab: History, installation, graphical user interface, tool boxes, using help
- Matlab programming basics: syntax, debugging, reading and writing of files, data visualization
- Take-home programming assignments
- Programs to analyze and visualize observation data
- Design and implementation of a simple dynamical model
- Preparation of ungraded assignments and presentation in small groups
Record of performance
Take-home exam with ungraded assignments as prerequisites
Dr.-Ing. Uwe Ehret; by appointment